Welcome to Bethesda
The Mission of the organization is:
- In rendering our medical and social services we believe that God is our source;
- Encourage staff to function within organizational value system of Honour, Integrity, Compassion, Belief, Respect, Transparency, Co-responsibility, Trust and Loyalty;
- Operate an Intermediate Care Facility that provides holistic-, integrated care and relief; rendering Palliative-, Post-Acute- and Rehabilitation care to adults, children and their families;
- Provide quality, holistic Home Based Care Services that ensure de-hospitalized care and services to patients in their own homes/environments;
- Operate a Child and Youth Care Residential Centre with therapeutic and development programs, to care for and empower vulnerable children and their families;
- Develop local and International partnerships to ensure Sustainability, this includes an active internal and external Fundraising- and Liaison strategy.
Values: Honour, Integrity, Compassion, Respect, Transparency, Co-responsibility, Belief, Loyalty, Trust
Bethesda was established in 2000. We are a NPO (Nr: 020-521-NPO) and a Section 18 (A) company.
- 110 staff members.
- A Board of Directors that oversees the organization, decisions, governance and planning.
- A CEO and Management Committee that are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization.
We have a 5-star accreditation from the Council for Health Service Accreditation of Southern Africa (COHSASA) with the mentoring and guidance of the Hospice and Palliative Care Association (HPCA). This accreditation is awarded for Patient Care and Governance.
- We care for about 500 patients on a daily basis.
- More than 150 of these patients are children.
- More than 40% of our patients (adults and children) have HIV/AIDS.
- About 55% of our patients have cancer, other life-limiting/life threatening illnesses or Diseases of lifestyle.
- We deliver more than 2 000 interventions to these patients per month.
- We have a Holistic approach: medical, rehabilitation, developmental, spiritual, psycho-social, family support.
We have 3 MAIN divisions:
|The Intermediate Care Facility has 36 beds (including 8 children’s beds) and delivers in-patient Palliative-, Sub-Acute- and Rehabilitation Care.|
|Home Based Care visits the patients in their own homes and delivers De-hospitalized, Palliative- and Rehabilitation Care.|
|The Child and Youth Care Centre delivers Development- and Rehabilitation services to a maximum of 45 children in Residential Care.|
- Support Services: Kitchen, Laundry, Maintenance, Transport, Security and Admin/Finance.
- Wheelchair repair workshop that repairs and services government-issued wheelchairs.
- Development Program for 18 months to 6 year old that is called the Wikkelwurms.
- Community Adherence Supporters in George.
- Integrated School Health worker in George.
We care for our patients with-out cost to the patient/their families. Our total operational budget is more than R9,2 million per year. Even though we do receive some funding from the government, we cannot survive on that alone. We have an active Fundraising Committee and Projects Division that raise funds/donations from the general public, corporate donors and other funding partners. We have a comprehensive Needs List that indicates urgent needs per division and thus guides Fundraising and Proposed Projects. We have a Charity Shop on the premises that sells second-hand goods and also provides some income.
We encourage people to remember Bethesda in their wills.